Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never made your own nut butter – it’s the easiest thing in the world! Basically, all you need are a food processor, nuts, and a little patience. Voilà, there you have it, your own homemade Easy-Peasy Almond Butter.
About this Recipe
Happy New Year! Do you have any New Year’s resolutions for 2018? Plenty of people probably roll their eyes right now (am I right?!). After all, how many people actually stick to them after a few weeks (*cough* – days!)? As you may have guessed, not many (me included!). Having said that, raise your hand if you are still
planning trying to eat more healthy in the new year (me! me! me!).
If you are looking for healthy AND delicious recipes, check out my Green Pesto Sandwich with Goat Cheese & Avocado (a great snack to take to work!), Vegan Veggie Cookies, Vegan Veggie Tacos (one of my favourites!), or these Healthy Zucchini Fritters.
You might think, that’s great Myra but get to the point and gimme some (semi-) healthy treats. Don’t worry, I’ve got ya. I thought it’s time to share another healthy nut butter recipe: Easy-Peasy Almond Butter. As mentioned before, I don’t buy nut butter. I just never liked the store-bought versions. Admittedly, depending on where you live, making your own nut butter might not actually be cheaper than buying it BUT it definitely tastes better.
How to make Easy-Peasy Almond Butter
Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never made your own nut butter – it’s the easiest thing in the world! Basically, all you need are a food processor, nuts, and a little patience. Of course, I always add some extra yummies but they are pretty much optional (e.g., coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla bean paste, sea salt). Simply omit if you want a super-duper healthy nut butter (although, I highly recommend adding the extras – because yum!). Seriously, it’s incredibly quick and easy to make your own nut butter (you will be done in under 30 minutes!). Roast nuts. Process nuts. Done. Voilà, there you have it, your own homemade Easy-Peasy Almond Butter.
More Cooking Inspiration
Easy-Peasy Almond Butter is great for spreading on toast, stirring into oatmeal, baking, or just eating by the spoonful. I use it for my Spiced Christmas Cookies or simply spread it on homemade Vegan Banana Bread (it’s delicious!).
Psst… if you love this Easy-Peasy Almond Butter recipe, you might also like my Cocoa Nut Butter with Christmas Spice!
Easy-Peasy Almond Butter
Yield 1 cup
- 2 cups raw almonds*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil**
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp vanilla bean paste***
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (160 C).
- Spread almonds out onto a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for about 10 minutes or until fragrant.
- Let the roasted almonds cool for about 10 minutes.
- Start processing the cooled almonds in a food processor. They will first turn into almond meal and then nut butter. Stir and scrape down the sides as needed. This process will take several minutes (don't give up - it will happen!).
- Add the remaining ingredients and process a few more minutes until the nut butter turns smooth and creamy.
- Transfer your Easy-Peasy Almond Butter to a mason jar and store in fridge for up to 4 weeks.
*Can be substituted with hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, or cashews.
**Depending on the nuts used, you can skip, reduce, or increase the coconut oil. For example, you will need to add more coconut oil for almonds than for cashews.
***Can be substituted with vanilla extract.
Courses Homemade Staples
Cuisine vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, low-sugar
Serving Size 23 g (1 tbsp)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7.7 g
Saturated Fat 1.9 g
Sodium 32 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4.7 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 2.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.