Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme is one of my go-to recipes during the winter season. It’s a fantastic appetizer to share with your loved ones while sipping on a bottle of wine.
About this Recipe
Did you know you could bake camembert in the first place? It turns out not everyone does (*gasp*… right, Kaija?!). This Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme is quite possibly one of the easiest yet most decadent appetizers you could serve. Basically, it’s gooey melted cheese topped with fresh herbs. It’s real comfort food to the max and just the right thing during the cold winter months. The best part is that it’s really simple and comes together in under 30 minutes with almost no time to prepare (only 5 minutes of prep time!). I like serving it with freshly baked bread and toasted walnuts (aaand a glass of red wine – obviously!).
Ingredients for Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme
To make this gooey deliciousness, all you need are a 8 simple ingredients: camembert, garlic, rosemary, thyme, olive oil, pepper, walnuts, and bread. That’s it.
How to make Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme
Simply bake the camembert for several minutes, then add garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Bake for another 15 minutes until it’s soft and bubbly in the middle and the edges turn crunchy (on a side note, many people cut off the top rind of the camembert but I keep it on mine as it turns into crunchy deliciousness!). In the meantime, toast your walnuts (transfer to oven and bake with the camembert for about 5 minutes until fragrant!). Once your cheese is gooey, remove it from oven and then add a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of black pepper.
How to serve Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme
Serve your Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme with freshly baked bread (e.g., baguette, ciabatta) and toasted walnuts. You can dip the bread in the cheese or you can spread the cheese on top of the bread (whichever you prefer!). You can prepare it as an appetizer OR main (I don’t judge!). During the cold winter months, Chris and I are usually having it for dinner once a week (sometimes twice!) as it is incredibly quick and easy to prepare after a long day’s work (and it’s creamy and gooey and oh-so delicious!). If you love cheese, I can promise you’re going to love this Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme. Open up your favourite bottle of wine and enjoy!
More Cooking Inspiration
If you love Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme, you might also like this recipe for Baked Feta with Rosemary & Thyme.
Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme
Yield 4 servings
- 320 g camembert*
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- drizzle of olive oil
- sprinkle of black pepper, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- bread, bite-sized**
- Preheat your fan oven to 360 degrees F (180 C).
- Unwrap the cheese and discard the plastic wrap. Place the cheese back into its wooden box (or transfer to ovenproof dish). Bake in pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Score a deep cross on the top rind and carefully open up each corner. Poke the sliced garlic and rosemary into the top of the cheese and sprinkle with thyme.
- Transfer cheese back to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until it's soft and bubbly in the middle and the edges turn crunchy.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts. Simply transfer to oven and bake with the camembert for about 5 minutes until fragrant. Put them in a little bowl and set aside.
- Once your cheese is gooey, remove it from oven. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Serve with freshly baked bread and toasted walnuts.
- Enjoy your Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme!
*Can be substituted with brie.
**I recommend baguette or ciabatta. Alternatively, you could use pita chips.
Quick Tip: If using baguette/ciabatta, thread pieces onto woody rosemary sprigs. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Then transfer to oven and bake with the camembert for about 10 minutes until they have crisped up.
- Replace half of the walnuts with dried cranberries (1/4 cup each, finely chopped). Mix well and put them in a little bowl for serving. Dunk bread in cheese and then dip it in the walnut/cranberry mix.
- To make a sweet version, bake the plain camembert for about 20 minutes in ovenproof dish (score a deep cross but do NOT remove the top; do NOT use any spices, herbs, or oil). For the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle walnuts over the cheese to toast them. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine maple syrup and brown sugar (3 tbsp each) and heat until smooth and runny. Remove Camembert from oven and pour the warm sauce over it. Serve with freshly baked bread or crackers.
Cuisine vegetarian, gluten-free
Serving Size 106 g (1 serving)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 26.7 g
Saturated Fat 12.9 g
Unsaturated Fat 12.2 g
Trans Fat 0.004 g
Cholesterol 58 mg
Sodium 748 mg
Total Carbohydrates 9.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 18.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.