These Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes are a slightly healthier alternative to traditional mashed potatoes but just as creamy and delicious. I promise, these lower-carb mashed potatoes will quickly become your favourite side dish.
About this Recipe
We’re currently obsessed with potatoes. There are two versions that we make over and over again (both are kid-approved recipes!): Crispy Smashed Potatoes AND Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes. I love mashed potatoes but I wanted to make a slightly healthier version by adding some veggies. When prepared correctly, mashed cauliflower has a very similar texture to mashed potatoes and this is a GREAT recipe to sneak in veggies (trust me, I tested it with my friends’ kids and NONE of them noticed!).
Ingredients for Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
I don’t mind the carbs/fat so I use cream, butter, and parmesan as they are key to flavour and creaminess BUT you could adjust the recipe to your own liking by adding (see notes), omitting, or substituting individual ingredients. For example, I make a vegan version of this recipe on a regular basis and it’s just as delicious. Simply skip the parmesan (or substitute with nutritional yeast), use vegan butter/cream, and you’re good to go.
How to make Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
As usual, the recipe is quick and easy to prepare. You will need 9 ingredients, a potato masher or hand mixer, and 45 minutes (most of the time is hands-off!). First, boil the potatoes and cauliflower until soft. Make sure to use as little water as possible (just enough to cover the potatoes AND cauliflower!). After draining the potatoes and cauliflower, return them to the pot and let it stand for about 5 minutes until they’re fairly dry. Last, blend your potatoes and cauliflower, then add the remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth (or leave slightly chunky if you prefer!). You can either use a potato masher (less smooth) or a hand mixer (more smooth). That’s it. Simple, right?
How to serve Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
I promise, these lower-carb Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes will quickly become your favourite side dish. You could also serve it as a main by topping it with Vegan Mushroom Gravy. Happy Cooking!
More Cooking Inspiration
If you love these Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes, you might also like my Crispy Smashed Potatoes.
Wanna be friends? I’d love to connect with you on social media. Find me on Instagram and Pinterest to get more cooking and sewing inspiration OR subscribe for email updates (sign-up form in sidebar!) to keep in touch and never miss a post. You will get the latest recipes and sewing projects straight to your inbox.
If you have any questions (or just want to say hi!), feel free to send me a message via my contact form, email me at [email protected], or simply leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you and I’ll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and quartered
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan shaved
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- optional ingredients *
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add 1 tbsp of salt, as well as water to cover (use just enough water to cover the potatoes AND cauliflower!). Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and boil for 15 more minutes until both vegetables are (very) fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and cauliflower and return them to the pot. Let it stand for about 5 minutes until they're fairly dry.
- Mash with a potato masher or mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the cream, Parmesan, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt & ground black pepper, as well as any optional ingredients (see notes). Mash/mix again and adjust spices to taste.