These Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes are a slightly healthier alternative to traditional mashed potatoes but just as creamy and delicious. I promise, these lower-carb mashed potatoes will quickly become your favourite side dish.
About this Recipe
We’re currently obsessed with potatoes. There are two versions that we make over and over again (both are kid-approved recipes!): Crispy Smashed Potatoes AND Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes. I love mashed potatoes but I wanted to make a slightly healthier version by adding some veggies. When prepared correctly, mashed cauliflower has a very similar texture to mashed potatoes and this is a GREAT recipe to sneak in veggies (trust me, I tested it with my friends’ kids and NONE of them noticed!).
Ingredients for Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
I don’t mind the carbs/fat so I use cream, butter, and parmesan as they are key to flavour and creaminess BUT you could adjust the recipe to your own liking by adding (see notes), omitting, or substituting individual ingredients. For example, I make a vegan version of this recipe on a regular basis and it’s just as delicious. Simply skip the parmesan (or substitute with nutritional yeast), use vegan butter/cream, and you’re good to go.
How to make Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
As usual, the recipe is quick and easy to prepare. You will need 9 ingredients, a potato masher or hand mixer, and 45 minutes (most of the time is hands-off!). First, boil the potatoes and cauliflower until soft. Make sure to use as little water as possible (just enough to cover the potatoes AND cauliflower!). After draining the potatoes and cauliflower, return them to the pot and let it stand for about 5 minutes until they’re fairly dry. Last, blend your potatoes and cauliflower, then add the remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth (or leave slightly chunky if you prefer!). You can either use a potato masher (less smooth) or a hand mixer (more smooth). That’s it. Simple, right?
More Cooking Inspiration
I promise, these lower-carb Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes will quickly become your favourite side dish. You could also serve it as a main by topping it with Vegan Mushroom Gravy. Happy Cooking!
Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
Yield 4 servings
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, shaved
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add 1 tbsp of salt, as well as water to cover (use just enough water to cover the potatoes AND cauliflower!). Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and boil for 15 more minutes until both vegetables are (very) fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and cauliflower and return them to the pot. Let it stand for about 5 minutes until they're fairly dry.
- Mash with a potato masher or mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the cream, Parmesan, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and ground black pepper. Mash/mix again and adjust spices to taste.
- Done. Enjoy your homemade Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes.
Optional Ingredients (add-ins): rosemary, thyme, spring onions, chives, capers, roasted red onions/garlic etc.
Cuisine vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free
Serving Size 336 g (1 serving)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 23.7 g
Saturated Fat 14.7 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 519 mg
Total Carbohydrates 22.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 5.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.