These Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes are incredibly easy to whip up and come together in no time. You will only need 6 simple ingredients (lemons, eggs, butter, milk, flour, sugar), and when you spoon into these cakes you’ll find a delightful little surprise. Happy Baking!
About this Recipe
My best friend’s oldest turned four last month and she made a vegan lemon cake for his birthday. Unfortunately, I wasn’t around for his birthday party BUT I remembered that I wanted to share the recipe for these Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes on the blog. They’re magic. Seriously. When you spoon into these cakes, you’ll find a delightful little surprise. In the oven, the batter magically separates into two delicious layers: a light sponge cake on top and zesty lemon curd at the bottom. They are incredibly easy to whip up and come together in no time. Shall we?
Ingredients for Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes
You will only need a few basic ingredients.
- For Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes: lemons, eggs, butter, milk, sugar, flour
- For Serving (optional): icing sugar, ice cream, whipped cream
You can make these mini cakes vegan by (1) omitting the eggs and (2) substituting the butter and milk with vegan products. The butter and milk substitutes won’t make a difference to taste and texture but keep in mind that the mini cakes won’t be as fluffy when omitting the eggs.
How to make Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes
As usual, easy-peasy. In a bowl, you will need to combine all ingredients EXCEPT egg whites. Then beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter mixture (don’t worry about the runny batter – all good!). Next, pour the batter into lightly greased ramekins. Then put the ramekins in a shallow roasting pan with enough cold water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins and bake for about 40 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Carefully transfer the ramekins to a cooling rack and let them sit for about 20 minutes. Done.
How to serve Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes
This recipe is great for a last minute dessert when you’re entertaining guests. You can serve these Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes
- hot OR cold (if you can wait that long!).
- as they are OR with ice cream and/or whipped cream.
More Cooking Inspiration
If you like these quick & easy Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes, you might also like my Vegan Mug Cake with Apples. Wanna feed a crowd? My Vegan Banana Bread is super popular and a definite crowd-pleaser. For more sweet treats, check out my Best Ever Ambrosia and Choco Crossies (Copycat) recipes.
Wanna be friends? I’d love to connect with you on social media. Find me on Instagram and Pinterest to get more cooking and sewing inspiration OR subscribe for email updates (sign-up form in sidebar!) to keep in touch and never miss a post. You will get the latest recipes and sewing projects straight to your inbox.
If you have any questions (or just want to say hi!), feel free to send me a message via my contact form, email me at [email protected], or simply leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you and I’ll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes
Yield 4 mini cakes
For Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes
- 3 Meyer lemons, juice and zest*
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- icing sugar, optional
- ice cream, optional
- whipped cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175 C).
- In a bowl, mix the lemon juice and zest, egg yolks, melted butter, and milk together. Whisk in the caster sugar and self-raising flour until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the batter mixture (don't worry about the runny batter - all good!).
- Pour the batter into four lightly greased ramekins (they won't rise much so it can come almost to the top!). Alternatively, use an ovenproof (1 litre) baking dish for all the batter.
- Put the ramekins in a shallow roasting pan with enough cold water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Carefully transfer the ramekins to a cooling rack and let them sit for about 20 minutes.
- Before serving, dust with icing sugar (optional).
- If desired, serve your Mini Lemon Surprise Cakes with ice cream and/or whipped cream.
*I highly recommend using Meyer Lemons for desserts and baking. They are naturally sweet, mild, and juicy.
Courses The Bakery
Cuisine vegetarian, nut-free
Serving Size 127 g (1 mini cake)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12.89 g
Saturated Fat 7.32 g
Trans Fat 0.35 g
Cholesterol 111 mg
Sodium 245 mg
Total Carbohydrates 27.64 g
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
Sugars 15.56 g
Protein 6.38 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.