Anyone else living on soup lately? Winter is coming (*wink wink*) and we all need some decent comfort food to get through the cold season. This (vegan) Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with coconut, ginger, and chili is perfect for those winter days when you crave comfort food but still feel like eating healthy. Happy Cooking!
NOTE: This recipe was first published in 2017. It has been updated with new photos and information in October 2018 (same delicious recipe, new look!).
About this Recipe
What’s better than dishing up steaming hot soup? I can’t think of anything right now. I mean, come on, who doesn’t love a good bowl of soup on a cold winter night?! Today I’m sharing my truly-to-die-for homemade butternut squash soup recipe. This soup makes the perfect HEALTHY (whoop whoop!) comfort food and leaves you wanting more. It’s thick AND creamy AND flavourful (and the combination of coconut, ginger, and chili adds a little twist to the soup!). Seriously, if you are a butternut squash lover and there’s a soup that you must try this winter, please let it be this one.
Ingredients for Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Depending on the version you’re making, you will need 11-13 simple ingredients.
- For soup: butternut squash, garlic, ginger, chili, onion, coconut oil, vegetable broth, coconut milk, cream, salt & pepper
- For serving (optional): roasted pumpkin seeds, croutons
How to make Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Ok, let’s do this. To make this comforting Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, you will need to: (1) roast the butternut squash (pssst… roasting until SLIGHTLY charred adds lots of extra flavour) and garlic, (2) sauté the onion, ginger, and chili, (3), combine all ingredients in a large pot, (4) boil, (5) blend. Done.
Sounds simple, right? Trust me – it is! Other than the time that it takes to roast up the butternut squash, this soup is quick and easy to make and requires very little hands on time. I usually chop the onion, ginger, and chili while the butternut squash is roasting.
Want to make your own croutons from scratch? Easy-Peasy. Simple check out the notes section of the recipe where I have provided detailed instructions on how to make homemade croutons.
How to serve Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
For serving, simply top the soup with a dash of cream and, if desired, garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds or croutons. Voila, dinner is served. Now you’ve got the perfect meal to warm you up from the inside.
By the way, this is also a great soup recipe to make in bulk. I usually prepare a huge batch and divide it into containers to last for the week. Alternatively, you could freeze the soup for a couple of months and just defrost & reheat for a super quick meal.
More Cooking Inspiration
If you love this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (OR comfort food in general!), you might also like my version of Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Wanna be friends? I’d love to connect with you on social media. Find me on Instagram and Pinterest to get more cooking and sewing inspiration OR subscribe for email updates (sign-up form in sidebar!) to keep in touch and never miss a post. You will get the latest recipes and sewing projects straight to your inbox.
If you have any questions (or just want to say hi!), feel free to send me a message via my contact form, email me at [email protected], or simply leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you and I’ll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Yield 6 servings
- 1 butternut squash (approx. 1 kg), roasted
- 2 garlic bulbs, roasted
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, thumb-sized
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml vegan cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- roasted pumpkin seeds, croutons (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F (approx. 180 Celsius).
- Prepare butternut squash: (1) Cut in half lengthwise. (2) Transfer to preheated oven and roast for about 30 minutes until soft (keep checking in between to make sure it doesn't burn!). (3) Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. (4) Peel skin, scrape out seeds, cut into big cubes, and set aside.
- Prepare the garlic bulbs: (1) peel of any loose skin parts; (2) cut off the top of garlic bulb; (3) drizzle olive oil on each exposed garlic clove; (4) wrap in tin foil; (5) put in oven and roast until golden in colour, (6) let cool for 15 minutes; (7) squeeze each of the roasted garlic cloves out of their skin and set aside.
- Meanwhile, (1) finely chop the ginger, chili pepper (remove seeds!), onion, and (2) prepare the vegetable broth.
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil and sauté the ginger, chili pepper, and onion until soft and slightly browned.
- Add butternut squash pieces, roasted garlic, vegetable broth, and coconut milk. Stir well.
- Bring soup to a boil and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Blend soup until smooth.
- Add cream, salt, and pepper. Adjust spices to liking.
- Transfer soup to bowls and, if desired, garnish with pumpkin seeds or croutons.
- Enjoy your homemade Roasted Butternut Squash Soup!
Quick Tip: Want to make your own croutons from scratch? Easy-Peasy. Simply (1) grab some leftover bread/bread rolls and dice into little cubes, (2) in a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat*, (3) add bread cubes and season to taste (e.g., with salt & pepper or whatever spices you prefer!), (4) then fry for 5-8 minutes OR until the croutons turn lightly brown and crisp (stir occasionally!).
*You won't need much olive oil so use 1 tbsp REGARDLESS of amount of bread (and resist the urge to add more!).
Cuisine vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free
Serving Size 366 ml (1 serving)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 18.8 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 302 mg
Total Carbohydrates 19.2 g
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 4.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.