This Vegan Banana Bread is absolutely delicious (moist and tender!), quick and easy to prepare, and only requires 5 simple ingredients (bananas, flour, brown sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk). It will be your new favourite treat!
Right now, I’m still in my Christmas baking mood but I find myself craving healthier treats. I had a bunch of overripe bananas sitting in my kitchen so I decided to make easy-peasy Vegan Banana Bread. I love banana bread and how it can take so many forms. The recipe options are pretty much endless. I made gluten-free versions, sugar-free versions, nut-free versions, and vegan versions. This basic (vegan!) version I’m sharing today is my favourite go-to recipe that I have tested (and perfected!) many times. For this version, I used the bananas and brown sugar as sweetener as I like the combination of flavours. If desired, you can skip the sugar completely as the ripened bananas on their own will provide just the right amount of natural sweetness. Having said that, if you do have a sweet tooth, go ahead and add the brown sugar. Alternatively, you could use coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey as a sweetener.
The recipe is as straightforward as they come and it takes less than 15 minutes of your time (plus 45 minutes of baking). Combine all ingredients in one bowl, mix well, and you’re good to go. It’s as simple as that. Just make sure to take the extra time to sift your flour as it adds extra fluffiness. Also, feel free to add nuts (I recommend walnuts or pecans), vanilla extract, and/or spices (e.g., cinnamon). This Vegan Banana Bread is moist and tender with just the right amount of banana flavour and sweetness. What’s even better is that you can keep it in an airtight container (or fridge) for days and it won’t dry out. If anything, it tastes even better on the second and third day. Friends, this is the BEST banana bread I’ve ever tried (vegan AND non-vegan!) and it’s always a hit. It’s great for breakfast, tea time, or as a quick snack in between meals. It really is delicious (and will stay perfectly moist and tender for days!). It’ll be your new favourite treat (pinky swear!). Happy Baking!
Vegan Banana Bread
Yield 10 servings
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar**
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted***
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and spray oil a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top has browned.
- Enjoy your homemade Vegan Banana Bread (and try to not finish it all at once)!
*Self-raising flour can be substituted with all-purpose, whole wheat, gluten-free, or oat flour PLUS 1 tsp baking powder.
**Can be substituted with coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey (OR skip sugar completely).
***Can be substituted with butter of choice.
Quick Tip: This Vegan Banana Bread freezes beautifully. Simply freeze single serving and heat up in toaster/oven when needed.
- Add nuts (e.g., walnuts, pecans), vanilla extract, or spices (e.g., cinnamon).
- Make banana muffins: Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
Courses The Bakery
Serving Size 79 g (1 serving)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5.8 g
Saturated Fat 4.9 g
Sodium 4 mg
Total Carbohydrates 28.7 g
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
Sugars 9.6 g
Protein 2.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.