These Vegan English Scones are easy-peasy to whip up on a lazy Sunday morning or when pressed for time. They only require 5 (!!!) simple ingredients and come together in under 30 minutes. Hooray!
Today I’m introducing a recipe for delicious English Scones that happen to be vegan. These Vegan English Scones are easy-peasy to whip up on a lazy Sunday morning or when pressed for time. They only require 5 (!!!) simple ingredients and come together in under 30 minutes (yup, that’s right!). I’m telling you, this is a great recipe to have on hand.
I’m just gonna say it: I’ve never liked American scones (sorry, friends!). I DEFINITELY prefer the fluffy English scones. Traditional English scones are barely sweet and they are (in my opinion!) much lighter and tastier than American scones. I usually make these Vegan English Scones without any additional ingredients as I like the plain original version but every once in a while I mix them up by adding some extra yummies. The recipe is super versatile and you can pretty much add whatever you desire to make sweet scones (e.g., cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, raisins, blueberries, orange zest, lemon zest, nuts) or savoury scones (e.g., parmesan cheese, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, salt, black pepper). Just go ahead and experiment with different ingredients if you like.
Although these Vegan English Scones are super quick and easy to make, there are a few things to keep in mind to make sure they turn out right. First, please make sure to use a thick and creamy milk (the watery ones won’t work!). I HIGHLY recommend barista soy milk (e.g., Vitasoy, So Nice) OR full-fat (!) coconut milk. Also, please please PLEASE don’t overwork the dough or you will end up with dense scones instead of light and fluffy ones. One more thing, DON’T freak if you can’t find self-rising flour. Simply substitute with all-purpose flour PLUS 3 tsp baking powder and a BIG pinch of salt (easy, right?!). These homemade Vegan English Scones make a great snack over tea or coffee (save some for breakfast!). Serve with butter of choice (or clotted cream) and jam. Enjoy!
PS: Pssst… Do you like this vegan recipe? Want more? Check out my Vegan Banana Bread (it’s super moist and tender!).
PPS: If you’re not a vegan, feel free to add an egg (for extra fluffiness) and use heavy cream instead of coconut milk/ barista soy milk (but honestly, I don’t think you need it!).
Vegan English Scones
Yield 12 scones
- 3 cups self-raising flour, sieved*
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup butter of choice, softened
- 1 cup milk of choice**
- optional ingredients (see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. If desired, add optional add-ins and mix well.
- Cut the softened butter into flakes and add it to the flour mixture until lightly crumbly.
- Stir in the milk and knead until just combined. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour. If the dough is too dry, add more milk.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and gently fold several times. Do NOT overwork the dough or you will end up with dense scones instead of light and fluffy ones. Shape dough into a rectangle. It should be about an inch thick. Cut the scones either into rounds (use a drinking glas) or triangles (use a knife).
- Place scones on a baking tray and transfer to oven. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Serve with butter of choice (or clotted cream) and jam. Enjoy your homemade Vegan English Scones!
*Can be substituted with all-purpose flour PLUS 3 tsp baking powder and a BIG pinch of salt.
**Make sure to use a thick and creamy milk (the watery ones won't work!). I highly recommend barista soy milk (e.g., Vitasoy, So Nice) OR full-fat (!) coconut milk.
Optional Ingredients (add-ins)
- Sweet: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, raisins, blueberries, orange zest, lemon zest, nuts etc.
- Savoury: parmesan cheese, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, salt, black pepper etc.
Courses The Bakery
Cuisine English, vegan, vegetarian, nut-free
Serving Size 58 g (1 scone)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.5 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 23 mg
Total Carbohydrates 28.1 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 3.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.