These Vegan English Scones are quick & easy to whip up on a lazy Sunday morning or when pressed for time. They only require 5 (!!!) simple ingredients and come together in under 30 minutes. Hooray!
About this Recipe
Today I’m introducing a recipe for delicious English Scones that happens to be vegan. These Vegan English Scones are incredibly quick & easy to whip up on a lazy Sunday morning or when pressed for time. They only require 5 (!!!) simple ingredients and come together in under 30 minutes (yup, that’s right!). I’m telling you, this is a great recipe to have on hand.
Ingredients for Vegan English Scones
I’m just gonna say it: I’ve never liked American scones (sorry, friends!). I DEFINITELY prefer the fluffy English scones. Traditional English scones are barely sweet and they are (in my opinion!) much lighter and tastier than American scones. For the very basic version of these scones, you will only need 5 ingredients. The ingredients needed include flour, sugar, salt, vegan milk, and vegan butter. That’s it.
However, the recipe is super versatile and you can pretty much add whatever you desire to make either sweet scones (e.g., cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, raisins, blueberries, orange zest, lemon zest, nuts) or savoury scones (e.g., parmesan cheese, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, salt, black pepper). Just go ahead and experiment with different ingredients if you like. Usually, I would make these Vegan English Scones without any additional ingredients as I like the plain original version BUT every once in a while I mix them up by adding some extra yummies.
Also, if you’re not a vegan, feel free to add an egg (for extra fluffiness) or use heavy cream instead of coconut milk/ barista soy milk (but honestly, I don’t think you need it!).
How to make Vegan English Scones
Although these Vegan English Scones are super quick and easy to make, there are a few things to keep in mind to make sure they turn out right. First, please make sure to use a thick and creamy milk (the watery ones won’t work!). Therefore, I HIGHLY recommend barista soy milk (e.g., Vitasoy, So Nice) OR full-fat (!) coconut milk because they have the right consistency for this recipe. Alternatively, you could use vegan cream.
Also, please please PLEASE don’t overwork the dough or you will end up with dense scones instead of light and fluffy ones.
Oh, one more thing I should mention. Please don’t freak if you can’t find self-rising flour. Simply substitute with all-purpose flour PLUS 3 tsp baking powder and a BIG pinch of salt (easy, right?!).
How to serve Vegan English Scones
These homemade Vegan English Scones make a great snack over tea or coffee (BUT make sure to also save some for breakfast!). Simply serve with butter and jam. Enjoy!
More Cooking Inspiration
If you like these Vegan English Scones, you might also like my Vegan Banana Bread (it’s super moist and tender!), Vegan Veggie Cookies (a great snack to take to work!), Vegan Veggie Tacos (super healthy!), Vegan Mushroom Gravy (a rich and creamy side dish!), and/or Vegan Avocado Basil Pesto (a perfect match for my Crispy Smashed Potatoes!).
Wanna be friends? I’d love to connect with you on social media. Find me on Instagram and Pinterest to get more cooking and sewing inspiration OR subscribe for email updates (sign-up form in sidebar!) to keep in touch and never miss a post. You will get the latest recipes and sewing projects straight to your inbox.
If you have any questions (or just want to say hi!), feel free to send me a message via my contact form, email me at [email protected], or simply leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you and I’ll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Vegan English Scones
- 3 cups self-raising flour sieved*
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter softened**
- 1 cup vegan milk ***
- optional ingredients see notes
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. If desired, add optional add-ins and mix well.
- Cut the softened butter into flakes and add it to the flour mixture until lightly crumbly.
- Stir in the milk and knead until just combined. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour. If the dough is too dry, add more milk.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and gently fold several times. Do NOT overwork the dough or you will end up with dense scones instead of light and fluffy ones. Shape dough into a rectangle. It should be about an inch thick. Cut the scones either into rounds (use a drinking glas) or triangles (use a knife).
- Place scones on a baking tray and transfer to oven. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Serve with butter of choice and jam. Enjoy your homemade Vegan English Scones!
*Can be substituted with all-purpose flour PLUS 3 tsp baking powder and a BIG pinch of salt.
**I use Earth Balance.
**Make sure to use a thick and creamy milk (the watery ones won't work!). I highly recommend barista soy milk (e.g., Vitasoy, So Nice) OR full-fat (!) coconut milk.
- Sweet: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, raisins, blueberries, orange zest, lemon zest, nuts etc.
- Savoury: parmesan cheese, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, salt, black pepper etc.