This rich and creamy Vegan Mushroom Gravy comes together quickly with only a few basic ingredients and it’s a great alternative to traditional gravy. I love using it as a topping for mashed potatoes.
Surprise – Lemon Thymes got a makeover! I finally decided to re-design and I’ve been busy working on the changes for the past few weeks (that’s why it’s been quiet on the blog!). I’ve been wanting to do this for quite some time but had to figure out the details (it’s been a journey!). There are still some minor changes that need to be made but overall I’m super happy with the new design and I’m thrilled that it’s finally launched.
About this Recipe
Now, let’s get down to business. You were probably waiting for new recipes and I promise this one won’t disappoint. I love a good gravy but I am pretty picky when it comes to it. I’m often not impressed with flavour, especially when it comes to vegan gravies. That’s why I couldn’t wait to share my hearty Vegan Mushroom Gravy recipe with you guys. I’ve tested and perfected the recipe over the past year and it’s been approved by vegans and non-vegans alike. I’m telling you, this rich and creamy Vegan Mushroom Gravy is a great alternative to traditional gravy with no need to sacrifice flavour.
Ingredients for Vegan Mushroom Gravy
The recipe for Vegan Mushroom Gravy comes together quickly with just a few basic ingredients. Even better, you can EASILY adjust it to your own liking by adding wine and/or (vegan) cream.
How to make Vegan Mushroom Gravy
Easy-Peasy. You will need to combine a few basic ingredients EXACTLY as described in the recipe instructions below (you don’t want to end up with clumps!) and then bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 5 more minutes OR until it has thickened. Done.
How to serve Vegan Mushroom Gravy
Simply use this Vegan Mushroom Gravy to replace traditional gravy. I love adding it as a topping for my Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes. Happy Cooking!
More Cooking Inspiration
Wanna be friends? I’d love to connect with you on social media. Find me on Instagram and Pinterest to get more cooking and sewing inspiration OR subscribe for email updates (sign-up form in sidebar!) to keep in touch and never miss a post. You will get the latest recipes and sewing projects straight to your inbox.
If you have any questions (or just want to say hi!), feel free to send me a message via my contact form, email me at [email protected], or simply leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you and I’ll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 5 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup shallots finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch *
- 2 cups vegetable broth **
- 1/4 cup wine optional***
- 1/4 cup vegan cream of choice optional
- Spray oil a skillet. Over medium heat, sauté mushrooms, shallots, and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tamari and season with pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Reduce heat to low and sauté for 5 more minutes until mushrooms are soft and most of their liquid has cooked off.
- Slowly sprinkle in the cornstarch and stir until all mushrooms are coated. Cook for about 3 minutes until the cornstarch is lightly toasted.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable broth and quickly whisk until smooth and no clumps remain.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 5 more minutes or until thickened.
- If desired, add the optional wine and/or cream and adjust salt and pepper to liking. Mix well.
- Remove the pan and serve hot. Enjoy!