Vegan Mushroom Gravy
Yield 8 servings
- 5 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch*
- 2 cups vegetable broth**
- 1/4 cup wine, optional***
- 1/4 cup cream of choice, optional
- Spray oil a skillet. Over medium heat, sauté mushrooms, shallots, and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tamari and season with pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Reduce heat to low and sauté for 5 more minutes until mushrooms are soft and most of their liquid has cooked off.
- Slowly sprinkle in the cornstarch and stir until all mushrooms are coated. Cook for about 3 minutes until the cornstarch is lightly toasted.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable broth and quickly whisk until smooth and no clumps remain.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 5 more minutes or until thickened.
- If desired, add the optional wine and/or cream and adjust salt and pepper to liking. Mix well.
- Remove the pan and serve hot. Enjoy!
*Can be substituted with all-purpose flour.
**Make sure to use good quality vegetable broth.
***It works with both red and white wine. Just pick whichever you prefer or have on hand.
Courses Homemade Staples
Cuisine vegan, vegetarian, nut-free, low-carb
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.42 g
Saturated Fat 0.87 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 537 mg
Total Carbohydrates 5.92 g
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 1.1 g
Recipe by Lemon Thymes at https://www.lemonthymes.com/vegan-mushroom-gravy/