Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca is incredibly flavourful and the combination of garlic, olives, and capers is just perfect. It’s quick and easy to prepare (in under 30 minutes!) and all ingredients are common pantry staples (mostly herbs and spices!).
About this Recipe
Today I’m introducing one of my favourite pasta dishes: Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca. Spaghetti alla Puttanesca literally means (excuse my language!) “spaghetti in the style of a whore” in Italien. I can totally see you guys go like: “Say what???”. Yes, I’m telling you, this slutty pasta is a thing (google it!).
Ingredients for Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
This sauce recipe was originally invented in Naples and typically includes tomatoes, capers, garlic, olives, and olive oil. It is sometimes prepared with anchovies but I usually make a vegetarian version of the recipe because you can EASILY adjust the recipe to your own preference. For example. you could also make it vegan by simply omitting the parmesan.
Basically, all ingredients are common pantry staples (mostly herbs and spices!). Having said that, I recommend to use good quality tomatoes, such as organic cherry tomatoes as they tend to be more flavourful. Also, I just want to point out that the sauce is incredibly flavourful and the combination of garlic, olives, and capers is just perfect. However, if you are not a fan of salty food then this recipe is probably not for you.
Alrighty, have you got all your ingredients ready to make this amazing pasta dish? Great! Then go ahead and get cooking.
How to make Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
Like most of my recipes, this Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca is quick and easy to prepare in under 30 minutes. For the sauce, all you need to do is (1) sauté minced garlic, chili flakes, capers, and Kalamata olives in olive oil, (2) add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices/herbs, and (3) let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. While the sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti until ‘al dente’. Then add the fresh cherry tomatoes and cooked spaghetti to the sauce and mix well. Done.
How to serve Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
Traditionally, the sauce is served with spaghetti but you could also use a pasta of your choice. It will be delicious either way. For serving, simply transfer your Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca to plates. Then top with a generous sprinkle of the grated Parmesan (and optional parsley). Serve immediately.
More Cooking Inspiration
If you are looking for a more healthyish quick & easy recipe, you might like my Simple Green Salad with Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Wanna be friends? I’d love to connect with you on social media. Find me on Instagram and Pinterest to get more cooking and sewing inspiration OR subscribe for email updates (sign-up form in sidebar!) to keep in touch and never miss a post. You will get the latest recipes and sewing projects straight to your inbox.
If you have any questions (or just want to say hi!), feel free to send me a message via my contact form, email me at [email protected], or simply leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you and I’ll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Vegetarian Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 5 tbsp capers
- 5 tbsp Kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 400 ml canned tomatoes peeled and chopped*
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes fresh & quartered
- 200 g spaghetti uncooked
- 1/2 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 1 tsp fresh parsley finely chopped (optional)
- Make the sauce: In a large pan, over medium heat, sauté minced garlic, chili flakes, capers, and Kalamata olives in olive oil until the garlic starts to turn golden. Add the canned tomatoes (juice and all!) and tomato paste, followed by the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Adjust spices to liking. Over low heat, simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Make the spaghetti: In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and olive oil. Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook for about 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until "al dente". Drain the water.
- Add the fresh cherry tomatoes and cooked spaghetti to the sauce. Mix everything until well combined.
- Transfer the Vegetarian Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca to serving plates and top with a generous sprinkle of the grated Parmesan (and optional parsley). Serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Can be substituted with bottled cherry tomato sauce.