Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme
Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme is one of my go-to recipes during the winter season. It's a fantastic appetizer to share with your loved ones while sipping on a bottle of wine.
Prep Time5 mins
Bake Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 320 g camembert *
- 1 garlic clove finely sliced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinch of black pepper freshly grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 4 slices of bread bite-sized**
Preheat your fan oven to 360 degrees F (180 C).
Unwrap the cheese and discard the plastic wrap. Place the cheese back into its wooden box (or transfer to ovenproof dish). Bake in pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes.
Remove from oven. Score a deep cross on the top rind and carefully open up each corner. Poke the sliced garlic and rosemary into the top of the cheese and sprinkle with thyme.
Transfer cheese back to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until it's soft and bubbly in the middle and the edges turn crunchy.
Meanwhile, toast the walnuts. Simply transfer to oven and bake with the camembert for about 5 minutes until fragrant. Put them in a little bowl and set aside.
Once your cheese is gooey, remove it from oven. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper.
Serve with freshly baked bread and toasted walnuts.
Enjoy your Baked Camembert with Rosemary & Thyme!
*Can be substituted with brie.
**I recommend baguette or ciabatta. Alternatively, you could use pita chips.
Quick Tip: If using baguette/ciabatta, thread pieces onto woody rosemary sprigs. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Then transfer to oven and bake with the camembert for about 10 minutes until they have crisped up.
- Replace half of the walnuts with dried cranberries (1/4 cup each, finely chopped). Mix well and put them in a little bowl for serving. Dunk bread in cheese and then dip it in the walnut/cranberry mix.
- To make a sweet version, bake the plain camembert for about 20 minutes in ovenproof dish (score a deep cross but do NOT remove the top; do NOT use any spices, herbs, or oil). For the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle walnuts over the cheese to toast them. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine maple syrup and brown sugar (3 tbsp each) and heat until smooth and runny. Remove Camembert from oven and pour the warm sauce over it. Serve with freshly baked bread or crackers.
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 870mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 350mg | Iron: 1.6mg